Flint and Steel

Bushcraft and Survival related goods for Sale, Trade either via members or via places like Amazon as we all like a bargain!
Dan
Site Admin

Flint and Steel

Postby Dan » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:27 am

We all know that a flint and steel take up very little room and can be invaluable to helping
get an emergency fire going so here you will find a couple of bargains that we came across
on Amazon. This one is just £2.00 with FREE UK delivery.
This is a compact and lightweight firesteel. It is suitable for most outdoor activities including hunting, fishing, camping and other activities. This firesteel will light all kinds of dry material (tinder) such as; birch bark, fine wood shavings, Maya dust, dry grass etc You can easily and quickly start a fire with just some sparks.

Below are a couple of reviews that people left after buying these

{REVIEW}
Seriously - a flint & steel combo for little over a quid? I've used the more expensive Scouts before but thought a spare would be a good idea (forget matches - not my bag).
Couldn't believe that these existed for this price - well worth it and the real thing (tested). The only thing to be aware of is that to keep the cost down, they've made the flint a narrower gauge than the more expensive ones. Not a problem for me, but it's clearly not going to last as long (fewer strikes) and may, in some hands, have a greater tendency to break I'd guess.

{REVIEW}
I purchased this item for a little over a pound and at the price think that it is ideal as a survival tool. I must admit that if I am trekking I prefer to use matches as they are simple to use, however, in very wet conditions this little fire starter is brilliant. I know that many people keep a small kit with them containing cotton wool (in my eyes best with a bit of vaseline too) in a waterproof container, but for me the ideal is my small trangia burner, which lights instantly with a couple of sparks from this fire starter. Both items fit with ease into a pocket, normally a zipped one such as found on Rohan or similar garb, so I don't lose either whatever the terrain. Whilst I make a brew, I could always make a fire whilst I am waiting for the water to heat up, but I must admit that I do not see myself as a backwoodsman anyway and have never lit a fire YET.

So what's it like in use? Great, it isn't the sturdiest and at the price I wouldn't expect it to be, but once the sealant covering the flint is removed, a quick couple of strikes and enough sparks are generated quickly to set the methylated spirits aflame on the trangia; which if you should be worried about water ingress, works better with a 10% addition of water to the meths anyway. I have tried to light a fire in my woodburner with it, but when my 13 year old scouting son looked at me as though I was mad blowing on the embers, I reached the for matches anyway. Have no doubt that this item will work if you want to light fires, but for me it is a cheap and ideal back up to matches or it for lighting my stove.
Great value, delivered extremely promptly complete with a good strong tie to prevent the flint and striker becoming separated. Excellent.

Smell that? You smell that? Bacon, son.
Nothing else in the world smells like that!
You know, one time we was working, we hadn't eaten all day, for 18 hours. When it was all over, We walked into the cafe.
We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' bacon sandwich.
The smell, you know that bacon smell, the whole cafe, Smelled like
Bacon! : 2015 Johnny in his best Kilgore voice!

Return to “Buy / Sell / Trade”