Alternative Sustainable Meat Source

Would you eat and raise your own Guinea Pig? ( Choose 2 options )

You may select up to 2 options

View results

ProPrepperUK

Alternative Sustainable Meat Source

Postby ProPrepperUK » Sun May 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Many people are into prepping with growing their own vegetables,
storing dry and tinned foods with long shelf lives etc
but one thing always goes overlooked, Fresh Meat!
Some preppers raise rabbits for meat, along with hunting
them for meat. But this can be costly, takes up a lot of space
to be truly sustainable and rabbits lack any real nutritional value.

So are there any real viable alternatives?
Well yes there is, whilst it may not appeal to everyone's personal
tastes or ethics, there is a very viable option.
Guinea Pig, known as Peru's national dish a delicacy called " CUY " which
is extremely high in protein and low in cholesterol.

1.jpg

South American restaurants on both coasts seem to be pushing the trend, answering to demand mostly from Andean expats for what is considered a fine and valuable food in Ecuador, Peru and Colombia. Middle-class foodies with a taste for exotic delicacies are also ordering, photographing and blogging about guinea pig. The animals — called cuyes in Spanish — are usually cooked whole, often grilled, sometimes deep fried. Many diners eat every last morsel, literally from head to toe.

3.jpg

But there may be more to gain from eating guinea pig than bizarre foods bragging rights. According to activists, eating guinea pig is good for the environment.

4.jpg

Matt Miller, an Idaho-based science writer with The Nature Conservancy, says rodents and other small livestock represent a low-impact meat alternative to carbon-costly beef. Miller, who is writing a book about the ecological benefits of eating unconventional meats, visited Colombia several years ago. At the time, he says, conservation groups were expressing concern about local ranchers clearing forest to provide pasture for their cattle — activity that was causing erosion and water pollution.

"They were encouraging people to switch from cattle to guinea pigs," Miller says. "Guinea pigs don't require the land that cattle do. They can be kept in backyards, or in your home. They're docile and easy to raise."

The Little Rock-based humanitarian organization Heifer International, which assists communities in enhancing their economies and streamlining local food production, is also promoting guinea pig husbandry in Peru, Ecuador and Guatemala. Jason Woods, the nonprofit's Americas regional program assistant, says guinea pigs — which he says usually weigh no more than 2 pounds — are twice as efficient as cows at turning food, like hay and compost scraps, into meat: To render a pound of meat, a cow, he explains, may require 8 pounds of feed. A guinea pig only needs 4.

2.jpg

To help start a home guinea pig farm, Heifer International typically supplies a family with one male and seven females. In just months, such a collection may have doubled in size. Woods says a guinea pig herd consisting of two males and 20 females can sustain itself while providing meat for a family of six.

family feed.jpg

Miller at The Nature Conservancy says guinea pig is "delicious, very tender and hard to compare to anything else" — not even chicken. Chef Astorga at Urubamba says cuy — which he describes as "about the size of a squirrel" — has "tender flesh and very tender skin." La Mar Cebicheria's Chef Oka says cuy is "very oily, like pork combined with rabbit."

5.jpg

So what can we learn from the Peruvians? They have found a viable sustainable meat source,
whilst some perceive the guinea pig as a fun furry little cute pet, its natural habitat has long
since gone and this cute little herbivore is a also delicious, nutritious sustainable food source
that is the ideal farmed meat source in a SHTF situation if we can get past our prejudice against
eating what we consider pets.

Would you eat Guinea Pig which in our opinion is really no different to eating your own raised rabbit or chicken?
Please vote in our poll, below you will see a couple of videos of
people and their experience eating Guinea Pig.

How to eat guinea pig

Eating Guinea Pig in Cusco, Peru

jack

Re: Alternative Sustainable Meat Source

Postby jack » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:23 pm

to be fair I would have to remove the head those teeth are like rats teeth of putting for me lol

Has anyone on this page actually tried it ????

Dan
Site Admin

Re: Alternative Sustainable Meat Source

Postby Dan » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:19 pm

whilst this probs sounds really bad, i wouldn't want to try it unless it was a real emergency survival situation as i dont want to kill for the sake of killing, which may be hypocritical of me as i am a carnivore.
Not sure that if i farmed them, that i would have the heart to kill them unless it was an emergency.
Smell that? You smell that? Bacon, son.
Nothing else in the world smells like that!
You know, one time we was working, we hadn't eaten all day, for 18 hours. When it was all over, We walked into the cafe.
We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' bacon sandwich.
The smell, you know that bacon smell, the whole cafe, Smelled like
Bacon! : 2015 Johnny in his best Kilgore voice!

Return to “Prepping and Self Sustaining”