Growing vegetables all year round in containers

ProPrepperUK

Growing vegetables all year round in containers

Postby ProPrepperUK » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:38 am

Many of us don’t have the space to grow food in the ground, so we rely on containers instead. Pots can be surprisingly productive but we don’t always maximise their potential. With just one relatively large pot, you could harvest 10 different crops in a single year if you combine compatible plants and plan the growing year carefully. The crops here are divided into three growing seasons. So even if you only have a tiny space, you could be harvesting a plethora of fresh, home-grown vegetables for consumption all year round.

You will need

• 1 large pot – a rubber tub trug is ideal or any plastic pot at least 45cm diameter
• Household drill and drill bit if no drainage holes
• Multipurpose, organic, peat-free compost
• A wigwam support made from bamboo canes or any strong flexible sticks such as willow

How to do it
Drill several drainage holes in the base of the container if necessary, fill with compost and push in the wigwam support. Now plant up according to the time of year.

single pot 2.jpg
single pot 2.jpg (21.13 KiB) Viewed 622 times

A large rubber basket is ideal for growing vegetables

LATE SPRING TO EARLY SUMMER

You will need
• 3 tomato plants (a cordon or staking variety such as ‘Sungold’ or ‘Gardener’s Delight’)
• 2 cucumber plants such as ‘Ridge Perfection’ or ‘Rocky’
• Up to 8 lettuce plants

How to do it
Plant the tomatoes and cucumbers next to a vertical support, evenly spaced apart, and tie in. Fill the gaps with lettuce plants. Water well. Once fruits have set on the tomatoes and cucumber, feed fortnightly. Place in a sunny, sheltered position and tie the climbing plants into the supports as they grow. Watch out for mildew on the cucumber leaves and pinch out sideshoots on the tomatoes regularly to encourage plants to produce more fruit. By late summer, all of these crops will be over and can be removed to make space for the next ones.

single pot 1.jpg
single pot 1.jpg (70.69 KiB) Viewed 622 times

Cucumber, cherry tomatoes and lettuce all share a pot

LATE SUMMER TO EARLY AUTUMN

You will need
• 3 kale plants such as ‘Cavolo Nero’ or ‘Red Russian’ (you can sow this in advance yourself in small pots in midsummer or buy plug plants)
• 4 chard plants such as 'Bright Lights' (raise as for kale, above)
• Broad bean seeds for autumn sowing, such as ‘Aquadulce Claudia’
• 5 early maturing garlic cloves such as ‘Early Purple Wight’

How to do it
Remove your summer crops (see above) and the top 5cm of compost. Top up the pot with fresh compost and sow two broad bean seeds at the base of each vertical support, then plant the kale in the centre of the pot with the chard around the outside. Plant the garlic cloves by pushing them into the compost, pointy end up, so their tips are about 1cm under the surface. Water well. The chard and kale can be cropped over autumn and winter but the biggest crops will come in spring. At this time, the broad beans will also set pods. Pinch out the growing tips of the broad bean plants (about the top 5cm) in spring – these are delicious steamed, and removing them will deter blackfly too.

single pot 3.jpg
single pot 3.jpg (72.78 KiB) Viewed 622 times

Tying in Broadbean 'Aquadulce Claudia'to willow stakes

EARLY TO MID-SPRING

You will need
• Salad rocket seed
• Spring onion seed
• Radish seed

How to do it
By mid-spring you should have harvested all your kale and chard, so there should be a few gaps in which to sow some radish, salad rocket and spring onion seeds. Simply sow a few on top of the compost and ruffle the surface slightly to cover them. Since these are quick-growing crops they will be ready to harvest within two months, leaving space for your summer crops.
By late spring, the early maturing garlic should be ready to harvest. You can eat this sort of garlic – known as green or softneck – straight away, with no need to dry and hang them. Leave the broad beans to mature – they will probably be ready by midsummer.

single pot 4.jpg
single pot 4.jpg (34.95 KiB) Viewed 622 times

Radishes will be ready to harvest withing two months of sowing

FAIR USE NOTICE: This thread may contain copyrighted material. Such material is made available for educational purposes only. This constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 of the US Copyright Law.

Credit for original article goes to telegraph.co.uk

Dan
Site Admin

Re: Growing vegetables all year round in containers

Postby Dan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:53 am

Thank you for a great article, this is something that i have been considering for quite some time, and think that when my wages appear in the bank i shall invest in some seeds.
I already have more than a dozen empty 25 litre containers that i feel will be ideal.
I have toyed with the idea of planting potatoes as from what i have read, certain varieties positively thrive in containers. and if SHTF a hot jacket potato will be a treat.
What fruits would you recommend for growing in tubs, pots or containers?
Smell that? You smell that? Bacon, son.
Nothing else in the world smells like that!
You know, one time we was working, we hadn't eaten all day, for 18 hours. When it was all over, We walked into the cafe.
We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' bacon sandwich.
The smell, you know that bacon smell, the whole cafe, Smelled like
Bacon! : 2015 Johnny in his best Kilgore voice!

ProPrepperUK

Re: Growing vegetables all year round in containers

Postby ProPrepperUK » Sun May 22, 2016 9:48 pm

well i decided to have a go at growing some veggies myself
and have uploaded a vid to the tube and will post a link to the thread below.
Fruits i would recommend are tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries and grapes

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=299

Return to “Prepping and Self Sustaining”